Mar 22, 2015

Long strange trip...

Truckin, got my chips cashed in. Keep truckin, like the do-dah manTogether, more or less in line, just keep truckin on.

The Grateful Dead had it right.

In January 2013, the New York legislature made a literal middle-of-the-night deal and passed the (un)SAFE Act, without public comment. It was signed into law that same day.

Within a week, I was looking for jobs out of New York.

Two years and two weeks ago, I made the first of three drives out to the Midwest to test and interview for a couple positions.

In May of 2013, I accepted an offer and gave notice at my job of eight-plus years, and in June I (over)loaded a UHaul trailer and put the dog in the truck, heading west and leaving behind hearth and home, kith and kin.

I spent the next eight months alone out here. MrsZ made a few trips as time and finances allowed, and delivered a truckload of our belongings. GfZ made a few trips as well, eventually deciding to make the move as well.

In February 2014, our house finally having sold, MrsZ made the move out here to join me.

In March 2014, GfZ joined us as well.

In May 2014, the agency I was working for announced that due to budget cuts, they'd be closing their communications division "sometime in the next 120 days." Nine of us were to be laid off, with maybe a few openings at the agency taking over the services we were providing.

September 15, 2014, the lights went off and I was officially unemployed.

October 14, I walked in for my first day at a new agency - this one with a residency requirement.

In November, we started house-hunting.

We closed on a wonderful three-bedroom house in a newer neighborhood last month.

Yesterday, with the help of friends, we loaded a 26-foot moving van and moved our entire household the 40-odd miles from a two-bedroom duplex to our new home.

I don't know what the next two years hold, but I'm hoping it's a bit less dramatic than the last two have been.

I can't begin to thank everyone who's helped us over the last couple years. Family members who sent job listings. Friends along the road who provided a hot meal or soft bed or cold drink. Friends and family that helped us pack, sell, load, move, and unload. We couldn't have done it without each and every one of you.

What a long strange trip it's been.

4 comments:

Carteach said...

Adventure! It makes home more appreciated for what it is.

Old NFO said...

Y'all deserve a break... And I'm glad you're back together as a family!

Andi said...

May the next few years give you time to really settle in to your neighborhood, enjoy the range, and have downtime from packing and unpacking!

Anonymous said...

Living free is important. Living in a state under tyranny is never a wise option. You have chosen wisely. If more would do what you have done, then tyranny would starve from loss of tax revenues!