Jan 19, 2013

Escape from NY

I've reached out to several of you on the job front, and I have been buried under leads. Amazing. :-)

I got one callback already, and had a great conversation with the HR lady - but the job in question wasn't going to be in the pay range I need.

We're still looking at options and both expanding and refining our search a bit.

I just sent the following to my state representative and state senator, both of whom voted against the travesty that was passed last week:


Mr. O'Mara/Mr. Palmesano,
I appreciate your "no" vote on the anti-rights bill this past week. Unfortunately, Governor Cuomo felt it was important to sidestep the legislative process and force unconstitutional laws upon the law-abiding citizens of New York.

I was born and raised in central New York. I love this area, for the seasons, the scenery, and the multitude of outdoor sports I have been able to enjoy - not just hunting, but fishing, kayaking, skiing, swimming, etc.
My wife and I purchased a house in [redacted] County in 2009 with dreams of building a small farm - both to provide for ourselves and eventually for our community.

This farm would have paid taxes, preserved the environment, and likely created several new job opportunities. Within ten years, we'd hoped to expand into agri-tourism on a small scale.

My wife currently works at [redacted], and I work for [redacted] as a 911 dispatcher. I have spent the past ten years of my life serving my community as a volunteer firefighter, and my wife as a youth hockey coach.

Thanks to the foolish legislation passed last week, we are in the process of putting our house on the market and applying for jobs in states that respect our rights as Americans. We will be gone from New York by the end of the year - taking our education, the hundreds of hours of professional training, and the taxes we'd have paid over the coming decades with us.

To be clear - the latest bill is not the only reason we're leaving, but it was the final straw. I look forward to living in a free state, with lower taxes, a healthier environment, and a better quality of life overall.

Please feel free to contact me.

3 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, you know my Offer is still Good. But as far as Big Picture Planning, you might want to look at the Electoral Maps of the Last Election. Seems the NorthEast, the Great Lakes and the West Coast put enough Votes together to Re-Anoint Barry. You might want to look at being WEST of the Mississippi River, and/or SOUTH of the Ohio River. Don't go to the Left Coast, of course.

Why? Because "If This Goes On...," those are Hard Barriers to get across for all the City Dwelling Sheeple to Evacuate from. And I really hate having to deal with a bunch of Ill-Preparred, Free Cheese Dependent Uber-Liberals DEMANDING that I feed, cloth and shelter them.

YMMV, of course.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Hadn't been active enough lately - just now know you're leaving. I'm sorry I don't have anything besides words for support (and cheerful noises that you'll find cost of living lower along with the taxes).

Good luck with the job search, and finding a buyer for the place. May you find everything you wanted, somewhere out here in free America!

Wilson said...

Good luck in your search. I'm sorry you have to leave the state you love.