Jun 2, 2013

New safe

In preparation for the impending move, we evaluated what stays and what goes. The gun safe I bought a few years ago was on the "it ain't going" list. It's large, heavy, and ... well, isn't that enough? Moving it would be awkward at best.

Accordingly, I put out some feelers, an ad on Craigslist and Armslist, and found a buyer relatively quickly. He picked it up yesterday.

This morning I went down to Tractor Supply and bought a new, smaller safe. It's not that much lighter - 500ish pounds as opposed to the 800 of the previous Cannon - but it's much more compact and much more secure. Twelve bolts on four sides, instead of four on one side. Full-swing door. Slightly higher fire rating...

I am pleased with it, and getting it into the house was remarkably uneventful. Most of the collection has been re-secured, and the remainder will be put away in the next day or two. I will probably be purchasing a steel cabinet for the low-dollar stuff, as well...

5 comments:

Erin Palette said...

Wouldn't it have made more sense to have bought the 500 lb safe AFTER you moved?

ZerCool said...

Perhaps, but bluntly put, I'm not taking that kind of a chance with my collection.

Anonymous said...

PULEEZ!

Bolt it into the foundation and the wall studs, if possible!

Don't make my mistake.

gfa

ZerCool said...

ArmedLaughing - when we reach a new place, it will indeed be bolted down.

Wally said...

That's a solid plan. A 500#er will move easily enough, but the added security is very valuable. Esp if you get hung up and ping-ponging and aren't at the house for a week or three at a time.

WV: mchnst altnar
The intertubes does know me well, since I spent the last few hours cutting a very very custom AR :)