Mar 21, 2010

Gun deal

I've been thinking about a new .22 for a while. MrsZ has a beautiful 10/22 International that I don't really care for, and can't pry out of her hands at the range anyways. My Savage MkII remains phenomenally accurate and reliable, as expected from a Savage bolt gun. It's a great gun for punching paper or taking small game. It's earned me more Rifleman scores than I can count. It is also, however, heavy. It's not a plinker, or a range toy. Not a tin-can rifle.

I've eyeballed a few 10/22s over the years, nearly bought a couple, but either didn't have money available or the rifle disappeared before I'd decided. Last summer I looked at and shot a friend's Marlin 795. Nice little rifle. Lightweight, handles well, very accurate ... and CHEAP. Normal price for them at Dick's is $130. They have a sale now for $10 off... and Marlin has a mail-in rebate for $25.

I sold my bike this weekend, and decided that it was time to get a 795. After all's said and done, I'll have $105 into this rifle. HALF the price of a 10/22. I expect I'll put a set of Tech-Sights on it at some point, and pick up a few extra magazines - but for now, it's a perfectly acceptable range plinker. Shot one round when I got it home just to check function, and I'll be taking it to the range Monday morning for a bit more fun. Trigger seems a bit heavy and has a long take-up (but I'm also spoiled by the Accutrigger). I'll take it apart, scrub it, maybe stone the sear lightly, and hope for the best. It's not BAD as-is, just not great.

Spent some more time on the reloading bench. In the last week, I've knocked out 350 rounds of .38Spl 158gr LSWC, and 200 rounds of .45ACP 230gr LRN. I've got a range trip scheduled for Monday with a newer shooter, so some of that will get used up. I'm going to have to make it to the reloading shop soon to (try to) find some more primers.

Theoretically, tomorrow (today?) is the vote on health care. I'm still against it. I'm seeing/hearing rumblings in quarters that I hadn't expected. Remember, folks, we are still at "soap box". November is "ballot box". For now, use your phone, your email, even support the good old USPS with a couple stamps and send letters. Remember that scene from "Miracle on 34th Street" where the mailmen bring in sack after sack of mail for Santa? Make your representatives' offices look Just. Like. That.

I'll leave you with a quote from a speech...


This is no time for ceremony. The question before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty towards the majesty of heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.


Know the speech? It ends with ten very famous words:

"[A]s for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

No comments: