Mar 3, 2010

The curse of...

The curse of good dreams and a bad memory. I woke up early this morning (as you can see by the post time) and while I lay in bed in that half-awake state, my brain started putting together some interesting phrases. No imagery, just words. It took a moment for the conscious brain to figure out what was going on and for me to think, "Hey, this is worth jotting down!" I'm not much of a writer, but sometimes I come up with something.

By the time I was awake enough to find pen and paper (and out of bed to another room to turn on a light so I could write without bothering MrsZ), it was gone. Oh, I remember - vaguely - the first fractional sentence. But it's not what I was half-dreaming, just a passing similarity.

Bah!

4 comments:

elmo iscariot said...

I'm not much of a writer, but sometimes I come up with something.

By the time I was awake enough to find pen and paper (and out of bed to another room to turn on a light so I could write without bothering MrsZ), it was gone.


Lewis Carroll had the same problem. He even invented a shorthand system and mechanical guide for writing in the dark.

Clearly, you need more 19th century technology in your life.

(By the way, thanks for adding some 21st century tech to mine; I got one of those CR123 Leatherman Seracs, and it's a near-perfect pocket light for my needs. Good suggestion.)

Weer'd Beard said...

Eh, I have a great memory, and once thought I could hack it as a writer. I've had dreams like that, and by the time I write them down, they start looking like the "Bright ideas" of a stoner.

Just sayin'.

ZerCool said...

@ Elmo - I can barely read my own handwriting as-is, I'm not sure learning a new shorthand designed to be written in the dark would help me any! But it is a neat concept. :) Glad the S3 is working out for you, I need to get serious about buying a couple S2s for future replacement before they're hard to find.


@ Weerd - I've no delusions of being able to make it as a writer. I'm no Marko! However, sometimes I turn a phrase that I like enough to jot down, and who knows where one of those might lead me?

ZerCool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.