Sep 14, 2014

Done!

Back in May I wrote about upheaval in life, not least of which was the announcement that I'd be out of a job in 90-120 days. Well, they came awful close to the 120 mark.

I walked out of work at 0700 after turning in my uniforms, ID, etc.

I haven't felt this good in a long time. I laughed all the way home, at absolutely nothing in particular. I had a Manhattan made with good rye when I got home, then slept for six hours, and feel like a new person.

I will be starting with another agency in the area soon (exact date is pending background check and drug screen), and I have a fair severance check in hand.

Most of it will be going in the bank with an eye towards house-buying in the near future... but part of it will likely turn into a bit of shop time for some barrels that need threading. :-)

I'd be lying if I said I was pleased with how the last year and a half has gone, at least on a day-to-day basis. The last four months of uncertainty and dead-man-walking mentality were miserable. Now I'm looking at what the future holds and things suddenly look a whole lot better.

Yes, I'm taking a pay cut for a year or two. Doesn't matter. New agency has a lot of opportunities for professional growth that look exciting.

I've got at least a week and probably three off now. I foresee some sleeping, a few range trips, and at least a few nights of backpacking.

1 comment:

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Congratulations on the free time and bright future! Toughing it out to the end of a contract is always hard; I hope you find life is absolutely awesome now!