Jul 29, 2011

Maxin', Relaxin'...

Apparently I'm not the only one who decided to take advantage of some nice weather.

I got out of Day Job around 3, went home, took care of critters, read for a little bit, then decided that even though it was overcast and a little breezy it was a good day for a paddle. I tossed the Wart on the truck along with a fishing rod and headed to Small Lake.

I got there just after five, geared up and got out, then dropped anchor (the lake max depth is a little over 25') and fished for a bit. A couple nibbles but nothing hit, so I moved, and repeated the process... several times.

The water was a great temperature, just an occasional bit of chop (it's tough to get big waves on a lake that's 2 x 0.5 miles and not deep), and mostly gentle rollers that were only a foot or two high. Sure, two-foot-swells are no big deal in a 18- or 20-foot Whaler, but they look a little more impressive when you're riding them with your hips at surface level. (Note - they LOOK impressive, these were nice gentle waves and no big deal.) Paddling into the wind gave me quite a bit of spray over the bow and into the cockpit, but that was easier than trying to paddle crosswind to change shores.

The Pamlico is ridiculously stable, even broadside to the chop, and I quickly learned it's easier to unconsciously roll with the waves and not make it a thought-out process.

After several locations with no luck, I finally wrapped it up and paddled back to the launch to go home and grab some dinner. No fresh bass, so I had to make do with linguine alfredo and sausage.

So, kayak fishing: great big yes. I'll be doing this on a regular basis.

No comments: