May 9, 2011

Sharp things

The weather seems to have finally broken - maybe, at least for a while - and I'm planning to dust off the grill for dinner tonight. My folks are coming over, and I stopped at the store on the way home last night to find the necessaries:
- a big slab of meat (3lb of top round)
- baby spinach and mixed greens
- bleu cheese crumbles
- asparagus

I went home and finally had an excuse to use those shiny new ceramic knives I got. DAY-UM, those things are sharp! The weight of the paring knife let it slice cleanly into the meat, no pressure required.

I cross-hatched the meat top and bottom and gave it a good shake of soy sauce, a dash of ground dinger, and a bit of minced garlic, then covered it and put it in the fridge to marinate overnight.

Tonight I'll sear it on the grill and slice it thin, then serve it with some bleu cheese and a greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette and grilled asparagus spears on the side.

And cheesecake for dessert.

No comments: