Aug 21, 2012

Stupid yellowjackets!

Got stung by a bee (actually, a yellowjacket) the other day. I'm not allergic, so it just hurt. Dab of cream of tartar paste and wash it off; nothing more to do.

Day two was the usual - it itched. A LOT.

Day three (yesterday) it had turned pretty colors, was rock-hard, swollen, and hot to the touch.

I spent the evening putting up peaches with MrsZ (we've got something like 25 quarts of halves, preserves, and jelly canned, plus several more quarts frozen, and I'm making leather tonight), took a Benadryl and went to bed.

As of now, this is what it looks like (the sting was at the very left edge of that purple blob):

Pretty, huh?

I'm declaring war on the bees, too. Stopping at BBHIS for spray on the way home.

Unfortunately, I've noticed an increasing sensitivity to bee stings as I've gotten older and been stung more often. When I was a teen, getting stung by a bee was no big deal; it'd itch the next day and then done.

A few years ago I got stung on the back of my neck, and it was tender for a bit.

Last year I got one on the hand and it looked like a Popeye paw ...

Now this. :-\

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Stop at the orange competitor instead and get this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100352314/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wasp+spray&storeId=10051#.UDPrJ6DcHRY The blue folks carry the same brand, but this one has a different primary ingredient and it WORKS.

Aaron C. de Bruyn said...

I was harvesting honey from our hive this weekend and didn't properly secure my pant leg. Five of the buggers went down my boot and got me. My leg felt like it was on fire for 5 minutes, then it dissipated. Darned bees...

Anonymous said...

Tell your doc about your increasing sensitivity. You may need to carry an Epipen or similar device to ward off a serious, potentially life-threatening reaction. That's been the cards I've been dealt.

Be safe

ZerCool said...

It's on my list, Anon. Thanks!

agirlandhergun said...

I'm with Anon. Allergies develop out of no where, I have eaten mango all my life...love them, but somewhere along the way I developed a life threatening allergy. No fun.

Doesn't hurt to get it checked out.

Old NFO said...

Concur, get to the doc, you need to start carrying a pen with you...

Wally said...

I have no advice for allergies, but as I live in a hornet-rich environment, many of my harry homeowner tasks are done with an AR stoked with blanks.
The blanks will knock one of those critters dead... A good shot scores more than one !

Home on the Range said...

ZomBEES. They're everywhere.

Hope it heals fast.